Friday, July 18, 2008

The Dark Knight

Yikes, it's been like a month since I've posted anything. Bad blogger, baaaaaad blogger. Well I've been busy. I'll share a bit about what I've been busy with as soon as I get my pictures a bit more organized. Anyhow, this week I've been slowly getting back to the office, but also getting some rest. Part of "rest" was to take in "The Dark Knight" on opening day! No that's not me in Joker garb above.

In the summer of 1989, I lined up on opening day to catch Tim Burton's "Batman" at the first show of the day. Back then midnight shows were not as common, if my couch potato brain remembers correctly this show started around lunch time. Burton's film is a classic! As entertaining today as it was when it was released 19 years ago (ouch...I just felt a hair turn gray).

When the series relaunch, "Batman Begins," was released a few years ago I wanted to see it, but I didn't hurry out to the theater. In fact, I ended up having to wait for the DVD. "Batman Begins" was an excellent film. I think it's fair to say it's a better film than Burton's, but the two exist on different levels. My fondness for the "Batman" of 1989 has not diminished. Burton's film is otherworldly, taking place in a Gotham that could never be reality. The Gotham of the new films seems like a real American city.

I think the reason I had to see "The Dark Knight" on opening day was the return of the Joker. While the Batman of the comics has dealt with many different baddies, it's the Joker that makes Batman...well Batman. In one scene the Joker even tells the caped crusader, "you complete me." We're not talkin' "Jerry Maguire" type of "you complete me" here either.

I almost hesitate to say it, but the 30 year reign of Richard Donner's "Superman" at the top the heap of superhero films may be over. "The Dark Knight" is quite possibly the best superhero movie ever made. It had me on the edge of my seat for 2 1/2 hours. It's tense, gritty, disturbing, and even funny at times. I look forward to seeing it again.

1 comment:

Pastor T said...

I've got to agree! Dark Night was amazing. Heath Ledger was a perfect fit. Also the story line was incredible. This movie was the best movie of the summer. Hey I saw another great movie I wanted to tell you about called "Lord save us from your followers" It's a documentary but it was moving, powerful, and entertaining.
Terry C
http://kidzpastor.wordpress.com