Saturday, March 03, 2007

America Bless God

Last night I was on the way to the light rail station when I noticed a bumper sticker on the car next to me that caught my eye. We're all used to the phrase "God Bless America," but here was a sticker proclaiming "America Bless God." I stopped to think about what that meant for a moment. Eventually I thought, "that's pretty cool." It made me think about the idea of blessing God with the way we live and how we treat other people. I am a Christian, but whether or not you subscribe to the beliefs put forth in The Bible, I think most people would agree that it does present some good pointers on being an all-around swell person. I mean "love your neighbor as yourself"...that's something good to do whether or not you're a Christian. I think just about everybody struggles with the way we treat others from time to time. This has been on my mind a lot lately. As I've surfed around the Internet it's crossed my mind that in many ways it's become a place where people go to complain about things and in some cases to be really mean to others. It becomes so easy for people (myself included) to do that when we have the voice that the Internet grants us...without the face. We do and say things we would never do if face-to-face with someone. So anyway, I saw this bumper sticker as a great challenge to all of us to think about our behavior toward others.

No comments: