Saturday, December 01, 2007

Viva Knievel

This evening I was driving in downtown Denver when I spotted an electronic news ticker on one of the buildings. My eyes went straight to the words "Evel Knievel Dead at 69." Being a kid in the 70's I was very familiar with Evel Knievel...daredevil and inspiration for one of the greatest toys ever created. I mean check out the video below. I had one of these when I was a kid, they were great! I want one of these for Christmas! I'm serious.



Knievel is certainly a unique figure in American pop culture history. I have to admit, as I became an adult and learned more about him (watching Biography and such), I didn't think too highly of the man. In interviews I'd see he came across as a very angry person. I mean after watching an interview with him I actually feared that he might one day spot the negative review of his movie "Viva Knievel" I posted on the web, then hunt me down and drag me back to Butte, Montana to wash his motorcycle with my face.

After hearing of his passing tonight, I began searching the web for information about him. I was surprised to find a video on YouTube from earlier this year where he stood before a crowd at the Crystal Cathedral and told how he had accepted Christ. It's a pretty amazing clip.

But "Viva Knievel" is still one of the worst movies ever made. Sorry Evel.

No comments: