Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Problem with Denver Ci Ci's

The other day, my son and I had lunch together at a local Ci Ci's Pizza. Our family enjoys going to Ci Ci's, they have a formula that really works. Their all-you-can-eat pizza buffet is a great deal (just $4.95) and my kids actually eat the food, which is always a plus. Is it the greatest pizza in the world, not by a long shot, but it's good. For the record, Chicago Style is the way God intended pizza to be served.


A friend of mine worked at a Ci Ci's for many years, and so one day I found out what the actual cost is of one of their pizzas. Ready for this...40 cents! So they've got themselves a winning formula there. But here's the thing that gets me about Ci Ci's...in Denver, anyway, they don't take credit cards. Now I believe that in the year 2008 if you don't take credit cards then you are completely out of touch with reality. Now I've encountered a bunch of people who are big on using cash. I once had a guy who fixed my freezer who was so big on trying to get people to use "Green Backs" that he gave a discount when you paid him with cash. That's all well and good, but the world today uses credit cards, deal with it.

Now the credit card thing didn't keep me from visiting Ci Ci's. It wasn't until I went to one in another state last summer that took plastic that I realized this must be a franchise decision rather than a corporate one. Being a business owner myself, I know that it does cost a company to process a customer's credit card...but come on, your pizza's cost 40 cents to make! What makes it worse is that inside each Colorado location is an ATM machine so you can get some cash, where you have to pay not only whatever fee your bank charges you, but also a fee from the owner of the machine...and I'm sure the restaurant gets a cut of that.

So what am I getting at here. Well it all comes down to what serves the customer better. I don't mind paying cash at Ci Ci's, but I won't use the ATM. I have had a few times where I intended to go to Ci Ci's, realized I didn't have enough cash with me, and ended up getting a pizza from Blackjack across the street instead. In other words...Ci Ci's, I want to give you my money and you have something that keeps me from being able to do that. What are you thinking!?

1 comment:

JHaynes said...

That seems perfectly correct. If they don't have the ability to accept plastic, they should be boycotted until they change. It is just not right that they should expect people to carry around cash all the time.