Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why are there so many starving people?

The other day I started reading a book I got for Christmas, "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. Chan is pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, CA. My neighbors actually went to his church when they lived in California. I enjoy listening to his sermons, though at time his style is a little bit too much like free form jazz for me. Still, he's got to be one of the most upfront and honest preachers I've heard. He tells you what goes through his mind when God speaks and I can sure relate to a lot of the emotions he describes.

I'm only a little ways into the book, but I am enjoying it immensely. So far I think I've highlighted more things in the first two chapters than I have in some entire books. One passage in particular really grabbed me. Chan writes:

"Psalm 115:3 reveals, "Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him." Yet we keep on questioning Him: "Why did You make me with this body, instead of that one?" "Why are so many people dying of starvation?" "Why are there so many planets with nothing living on them?" "Why is my family so messed up?" "Why don't You make Yourself more obvious to people who need You?"

"The answer to each of these questions is simply this: because He's God. He has more of a right to ask us why so many people are starving."

It's that last sentence that got to me. I imagined that scene we all imagine, being in Heaven and asking God all those questions we want to know. "Why did you make mosquitoes?" "Who shot JFK?" Stuff like that. Oh, and while were at it, "why are there so many people dying of starvation." Would He respond with something like, "Shouldn't I be asking you that? I did tell you that you would do even greater things than I did when I was down there. So what happened?" We pray that God would move in mighty ways to do things like feed the hungry and cure diseases. Perhaps we're the ones that are supposed to be moving.

No comments: