Thursday, November 06, 2008

Cartoon a Day: The Hollywood Matador

The Hollywood Matador
1942
Directed by Walter Lantz (uncredited)
Available on: Woody Woodpecker and Friends Classic Cartoon Collection

Today was a long day, I had a four hour flight delay before finally getting on the 3 hour flight to Philly and then an hour and a half drive to Lancaster, PA. So, I'm tired, but here in the middle of Amish country I managed to squeeze in a viewing of today's short for Bullfight Week, "The Hollywood Matador."


It's not really clear what the meaning of the title is, but Woody Woodpecker is a famous matador in this one. The gags aren't terribly elaborate in this one, but that's OK, Woody gets in some good jabs. One bit where Woody draws the different cuts of meat on the bull's side is one I remember from when I was a kid.

One aspect of this short that I like is that several of the gags involve the audience at the bullfight. They feel the effects of the antics in the arena, it's an angle that you don't see in many other cartoons.

I'm half asleep so I'm keeping it short tonight, but this is a pretty strong early Woody short.

No comments: