Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Love You Canada!

Opening Ceremony - Vancouver Olympics 2010


I love my country. I'm a proud American, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But...watching the opening ceremonies for the Vancouver Olympics last night, I was reminded of the great appreciation I have for our friendly neighbors to the north. I have many Canadian friends and they are wonderful ambassadors of their great land. There are so many similarities between our countries, but so many things that make them unique as well. Here are a few things I love about Canada!




- O Canada

I'm not Canadian, I've never been Canadian, but darn their national anthem makes you want to be Canadian. I love "The Star Spangled Banner," but this song just oozes with national pride. "God keep our land glorious and free, O Canada we stand on guard for thee." Shivers!

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno - Shania Twain

- Canadian Music

There's an awful lot of great musical talent that comes from Canada! Rush, Barenaked Ladies, Alanis Morisette, Diana Krall, and Shania Twain, just to name a few.

- Z (Zed)

Oh come on, am I the only one who thinks it cute when talking to an Canadian and they call the letter Z "Zed?"




- Tim Horton's

If Canada has a plot for world domination, I guarantee it somehow involves Tim Horton's. From what my Canadian friends tell me, Horton was a hockey player who's become much better known for his chain of donut and coffee shops. They are all over the place! Like how Starbucks is in the US. Slowly, "Timmy's" are popping up stateside and I can't wait until they make it to Colorado. They're donuts are goooooood!

2008 Canada's Walk of Fame

- Canadian Comedy

Somewhere between American sketch comedy and British sketch comedy are a bunch of really funny Canadians. SCTV, The Kids in the Hall, The Frantics, and The Red Green Show are just a few examples of the unique Canadian sense of humour (look I used the "U" in humor)

- Gravy on French Fries

When I visited Winnipeg last summer I was caught off guard when ordering a burger and fries. "Do you want gravy," I was asked. "Gravy for what," I replied. "Your fries," was the answer. Hmm, well why not? I gave it a try. It was yummy. Now, Poutine on the other hand (french fries covered in gravy and cheese curds) doesn't sound that tasty to me...but I'll dip my fries in gravy any day.


- Ketchup Flavored Potato Chips

Do you really need an explanation on this one?

CANADA-VANCOUVER-WINTER OLYMPICS-OPENING

- Canadians really are nice people!

I always say one of my favorite places to visit here in the US is Lafayette, Louisiana. The reason is that everyone is so nice. They all call me sir! Well those folks (Cajuns) are descended from Canadians. It has been my experience that Canadians really are very polite and pleasant folks be around.



So here's to the world's longest peaceful border! Yay Canada...Eh!

No comments: