Saturday, February 13, 2010

We are the World...Again

Last night as were gearing up for the start of the olympics, NBC aired a portion of a music video for a new version of the 80's stars feeling good about themselves song "We are the World." This one is to help with the relief effort in Haiti. I guess I had heard about it a week or so ago but hadn't paid real close attention to the story. Just like how 20+ years ago when stars like Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Cyndi Lauper, Kenny Rogers, and so on got together to sing on one single...this time we have the likes of Miley Cyrus, The Black Eyed Peas and Celine Dion. And once again, they are all under the direction of Quincy Jones. Both versions of the song represent interesting moments in pop culture history and no matter what you think of the celebrities involved, it is a good thing they're doing.

I remember the album cover of the original "We are the World" which featured a group photo of the stars involved and an alphabetical listing of their names beneath. What always stuck out in my mind is that the first name on that alphabetical list was someone we don't think of as a singer...Dan Aykroyd!?!? Now Aykroyd had done some singing as a part of the Blues Brothers, but I always kind of wondered how Aykroyd ended up among all the chart toppers who gathered to record that song.



As I'm watching the video for the new song last night, I noticed a few more famous faces carrying on the "huh?" tradition of Dan Aykroyd singing on the original. I was surprised to see "the dude" himself, Jeff Bridges, among the crowd. Even more surprising was seeing that musical hit-machine Vince Vaughn (that's sarcasm campers). No disrespect to these two, I mean bravo for helping...but it's still a bit of a "huh" moment.

No comments: