Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cartoon a Day: Buccaneer Bunny

Buccaneer Bunny
1948
Directed by Friz Freleng (as I. Freleng)
Available on: Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 5

Ah, Yosemite Sam. He was always my brother's favorite, and I've got to admit a great love for the character too. What is it about a character of pure rage that is just so funny to watch? Makes me realize a bit how stupid I probably look when I loose my temper. Guess many of us could learn a bit from watching old Sam.

Sam is a pirate who makes the mistake of trying to hide his treasure in Bugs Bunny's hole. The gags in this short come in little groups. There is a series of gags involving Bugs hiding out in the crow's nest, a series involving cannons shooting Sam in the face, and a series gags involving doors. It goes to show how Freleng is a master of comic timing. The end result of each gag in the cannon sequence is the same, yet it stays funny because the timing is so precise.


Probably my favorite bit in this short is the one where Bugs throws a match into the gun powder room which Sam has to run in after. After several times Sam tells him that he's not going in after it again. Bugs, of course, throws the match again.



Sam goes through a quick series of poses as he tries to fake not being nervous and trying not run in after the match. He stands with arms crossed tapping his foot, plays with a yo-yo, and sits down for a game of jacks. Ultimately, he can't stand it and runs in after the match, only to have the room explode in his face. It's a great sequence.

No comments: